[Marxism] Saddam 'lawyer' would call Rumsfeld (Al Jazeera)

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 19:06:47 MDT 2004

Saddam 'lawyer' would call Rumsfeld
Monday 26 April 2004 1:17 AM GMT

Verges says Rumsfeld is to blame
for selling weapons to Iraq

Controversial French lawyer Jacques Verges says he will
call US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and former
secretary of state Henry Kissinger as witnesses if he is
appointed to defend ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein in
an eventual trial.

But the 79-year-old lawyer also said on Sunday that he
feared the United States might try to kill Saddam prior to
trial. "I have this fear. I am not sure. If I express my
fear, it's precisely to avoid this."

The lawyer, whose past clients have included Nazi Gestapo
chief Klaus Barbie, Carlos the Jackal, and former Yugoslav
president Slobodan Milosevic, said in March that Saddam's
nephew Ali Barzan al-Tikriti had asked him to represent his
uncle, who was captured by US forces in Iraq in December.

"This mass destructive weapons were sold to Iraqi
government by the United States. And Mr Rumsfeld has been
one of the men responsible for this sale, for this bargain,
for this market," Verges told CBS.

He said he would call Kissinger to testify "for sure".

Asked if he would try and put the US on trial in his
defence of Saddam, he said: "What I am criticising is not
(the) United States; (it) is the actual leaders of the
(United States)."

Curiosity

Verges said his defence of some of the worst perpetrators
of crimes against humanity is because, "I am curious to
understand."

The French lawyer has also brushed off a claim by Jordanian
lawyer Muhammad Rashdan that he has not been legitimately
appointed.

Rashdan told AFP he had been contacted by Saddam's wife and
eldest daughter to personally represent the former Iraqi
leader and that Verges had no right to representation.

Agencies By

You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/492C6209-885B-4398-9733-D30F3BBCDF9C.
htm