[Marxism] Racist Farmington [and the coming of John Foster Dulles II, US Comm. on Civil Rights]

Hunter Gray hunterbadbear at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 29 08:13:51 MDT 2004

     Headlines
            Racist Farmington, NM [and the coming of a kind of Shane? --
John Foster Dulles II, US Commission on Civil Rights]

            Note by Hunter Bear:

            Farmington -- a small city in the northwestern corner of New
Mexico -- has a long history of sometimes lethal and always very rank
discrimination against Indians [ mainly Navajos -- part of whose vast
reservation is in the immediate area].  Ute Indians as well as Chicanos are
often victimized.   In the early '70s, a series of murders of elderly
Navajo by Anglo teens sparked a very successful boycott which -- as at
Flagstaff and Gallup -- resulted in some positive changes.  But while Flag
and Gallup still leave much to be desired, some good changes there have
endured --as is the case at other bordertowns such as Winslow and Holbrook.
But Farmington continues to slip 'way 'way back into its old sanguinary
habits.

            A story I sometimes tell involves my getting gas in my yellow
Chev pickup at Jackson, Mississippi in very early November '79.  [I was at
Jackson for the big Civil Rights Retrospective sponsored by Tougaloo and
Millsaps colleges.]  The owner, an Anglo came out -- extremely cordial.  "I
saw your New Mexico plate as soon as you pulled in," said he.  [We lived on
the Navajo Nation and I had an Arizona driver's license and a license plate
from Gallup -- McKinley County.]

            "I really like that state," he went on -- and especially the
town I lived in.  It was just like Mississippi. Just like it!"  He was
glowing.

            And I knew -- I knew.

            "And what town was that?" I asked, pro-forma wise.

            "Farmington," said he.

            It will be interesting to see what the U.S. Commission on Civil
Rights accomplishes at Farmington.  It may be of passing interest that John
Foster Dulles II, who is a major Commission figure, is the son of the late
[and infamous] Secretary of State.  As far as I know, this Dulles is OK.

            But it's probably going to take another boycott and litigation
to make enduring changes at Farmington.
            Like pulling the teeth of rock fossilized dinosaurs.

                  Civil rights panel to meet
                  By Laura Banish/The Daily Times
                  Apr 29, 2004, 12:07 am

            FARMINGTON - The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights will hold a
daylong public hearing to address issues of discrimination affecting Native
Americans, at San Juan College Friday.

            The hearing will consist of scheduled testimony covering local
political participation, employment, education, consumer and economic
conditions, law enforcement and the justice system, as well as a public
comment period.

            "I think we have a pretty fair and balanced agenda," said the
commission's Regional Director John Foster Dulles II. "This agency has a
long-standing interest in Farmington and we are encouraged by the
outstanding cooperation we have received in planning this important event.
We look forward to a productive meeting."

            The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, which is a fact-finding
agency of the federal government, first came to Farmington in 1974 to
respond to allegations of racial discrimination after three Anglo teenagers
brutally murdered three Navajo men in the hills of Chokecherry Canyon. After
the visit, the commission published a 171-page study titled, "The Farmington
Report: A Conflict of Cultures."

            This time around, Dulles said the commission will likely compose
a summary of the hearing and, depending on the what is said Friday, a list
of recommendations. The commission will be assisted at the hearing by its
New Mexico Advisory Committee, which consists of volunteers representing
various areas of the state.

            Dulles said his initial impressions are that attitudes in
Farmington has changed for the better, specifically those of its leadership,
however there may still be some problems.

            "I don't know what folks will say," he said. "We'll find out at
the hearing Friday."

            The hearing begins at 8:15 a.m. in the Henderson Fine Arts
Building, Room 9012 of San Juan College. Opening remarks will be made by the
New Mexico Advisory Committee chairman and Dulles. San Juan College
President Carol Spencer, Farmington Mayor Bill Standley and Shiprock Chapter
President Duane "Chili" Yazzie will deliver the welcome. Panel discussions
will be held until 4:15 p.m., followed by comments from Totah Behavioral
Health Authority. A two-hour open public comment period is scheduled to take
place from 6:15 p.m.-8:15 p.m.

            Laura Banish: laurab at daily-times.com

HUNTER GRAY  [HUNTER BEAR]
www.hunterbear.org