[Marxism] Whatever happened to the LMers ?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 1 11:28:05 MDT 2004

Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
> My query is really about whether people should be morally condemned for
> their life-changes or personalities, or whether one pays attention to them
> in order to learn something from their experience, positively or
> negatively - a human development perspective, if you like. Where you work
> doesn't necessarily say very much about your political outlook, it might
> just say something about your interests or competencies.

I would say that anybody who takes a job doing PR for tobacco companies,
nuclear power, Monsanto, etc. has something else going on than a man or
woman working on the assembly line or as an engineer for an arms
manufacturer, etc. Doing PR for such firms is like being an editorialist
for Rupert Murdoch. To take that kind of job requires a different
mindset. We have to deal with the fact that this formerly Marxist group
has its tentacles in the corporate PR world. It is symptomatic of its
orientation that it cosponsors conferences with Hill-Knowlton, the most
degraded and notorious PR firm in the entire world. They were the PR
firm that crafted the disinformation campaign that made the first Gulf
War possible. It is astonishing to me that people who used to write
Marxist literature would have anything to do with Hill-Knowlton. It is
as if Frank Furedi and Mick Hume and company were telling the left to go
fuck themselves, that their opinion of them means nothing. Meanwhile,
Spiked-online has the audacity to lecture the British antiwar movement
about not being principled. Unbelievable.

--
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org