[Marxism] Left Hook Latest Release Online (exclusive Nader & Goff interviews included)

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Thu Aug 5 10:25:09 MDT 2004

Left Hook

www.lefthook.org

Last Release: Thurdsay, August 05, 2004

The Outsider: A Short Interview with Ralph Nader

| Joshua Frank |

(Joshua Frank recently had the opportunity to have a quick chat with
Ralph Nader about his Independent campaign for president. Below is a
portion of the transcript.)

Joshua Frank: Mr. Nader thanks for agreeing to do this interview. Given
how worried the Democrats appear to be about your presidential run
taking votes away from John Kerry, why do you think the Kerry campaign
refuses to toss even a small bone to the progressive anti-war,
anti-PATRIOT Act crowd -- even though this is the contingent of voters
that could quite possibly cost Kerry the election if they continue to be
ignored?

Ralph Nader: Because they believe these voters have nowhere to go,
especially with Dennis Kucinich's endorsement of John Kerry in return
for nothing. Also, Kerry's campaign is trying to take the war, Patriot
Act issues off the table and they do this by "me-tooing" these issues
with Bush. Call it protective imitation.

- (Read interview) <http://lefthook.org/Reviews/FrankNader080504.html>

An Extensive Interview with Stan Goff

| Derek Seidman |

Stan Goff is a member of the coordinating committee of Bring Them Home
Now,   <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org>a campaign of military families,
veterans, active duty personnel, reservists against the war in Iraq. His
books include Hideous Dream: A Soldier's Memoir of the US Invasion of
Haiti,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1887128638/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/104-1211420-1532751?v=glance&s=books&st=*>and

Full Spectrum Disorder: The Military in the New American Century.  He
retired as a Master Sergeant in the US military in 1996 after serving
for 26 years, most of them with Special Forces. Recently, Derek Seidman
of Left Hook caught up with Stan Goff to get his thoughts on "Fahrenheit
9/11", the situation in Iraq, the possibility of a draft, the upcoming
US elections, and more.

- (Read interview) <http://lefthook.org/Reviews/SeidmanGoff080504.html>

A Review of Stan Goff's Full Spectrum Disorder

| Derek Seidman |

Stan Goff is a unique voice on the American Left. Before becoming an
activist, author, and outspoken progressive voice, he spent twenty-six
years in the military, many of them with Special Forces, participating
in notorious US interventions in places like Panama, Haiti, Grenada,
Somalia, and Vietnam. As he retrospectively remarks, his military career
turned out to have provided him "the most superlative education
imaginable" on both a personal and political level. In his most recent
book, Full Spectrum Disorder: The Military in the New American Century,
readers are presented with the fruits of this education. It is a
must-read for anyone on the Left looking to gain some important insights
into the US military, the people who are in it, and the direction in
which it and the system it works for are heading. It is also a very
challenging book for all the right reasons, sure to make the honest
person think a lot more critically about a lot of things.

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Reviews/Seidman080504.html>

Logging is not Restoration: Forest Battles Escalate in Oregon

| Joshua Frank |

Ancient public forests out West are under attack as usual this year.
Thankfully, courageous activists in Oregon's Siskiyou National Forest
are attempting to fend off the worst of the pillage.

On July 16 the US Forest Service placed 1900 acres of public land on the
auction block. And by the end of the day the bids were in; 1160 of the
1900 acres were mapped out for demolition. The venture, titled the
"Biscuit Fire Recovery Project", is the largest forest service sale in
modern US history. When all is said and done 30 square miles of federal
land could be handed over to chainsaw happy timber barons.

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Politics/Frank080504.html>

Iraq About To Implode

| Robert Fisk |

Bagdhad: The war is a fraud. I'm not talking about the weapons of mass
destruction that didn't exist. Nor the links between Saddam Hussein and
al-Qaida which didn't exist. Nor all the other lies upon which we went
to war. I'm talking about the new lies.

For just as, before the war, our governments warned us of threats that
did not exist, now they hide from us the threats that do exist. Much of
Iraq has fallen outside the control of America's puppet government in
Baghdad but we are not told. Hundreds of attacks are made against US
troops every month. But unless an American dies, we are not told. This
month's death toll of Iraqis in Baghdad alone has now reached 700 - the
worst month since the invasion ended. But we are not told.

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Ground/Fiskreprint080504.html>