[Marxism] Republicans need to be prepared to remove the IRA

James Daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 9 02:26:15 MDT 2004

Republicans need to be prepared to remove the IRA and the issue of IRA arms
as an excuse for unionists to block political progress in Northern Ireland,
Gerry Adams has said. But the Sinn Fein president said the republican
leadership would only be empowered to do that if there was a context in
which they could make progress.
Speaking to the BBC on Wednesday, Mr Adams said he did not see the IRA doing
that of its own volition but only as part of an "ongoing process of
sustainable change". He said if there was not such a process then there
"would be great difficulties".
"I personally feel that while there are justifiable fears within unionism
about the IRA and while people have concerns about the IRA, I think
political unionism uses the IRA and the issue of IRA arms as a excuse," he
said. "I think that republicans need to be prepared to remove that as an
excuse".