[Marxism] Left Hook Latest Release Online

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Tue Aug 10 08:38:54 MDT 2004

Left Hook

www.lefthook.org

Last Release: Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The Liberals Reveal Their True Nature: Florida Comes to California

| Todd Chretien |

Having spent the last month helping organize the petition drive to get
Ralph Nader and Peter Camejo on the ballot in California, I'd like to
make two observations and some comments.

1. There are an appalling number of "liberals" or "progressives" who are
willing to scream and spit in your face (literally) when you ask them if
they'd like to sign a petition so that people who want to vote for a
candidate who opposes the occupation of Iraq and the Patriot Act will
have that right.

Here's a typical conversation:

Petitioner: "Excuse me, are you a registered voter in California?

We're trying to get Ralph Nader on the ballot."

Liberal Yuppie: "No, no, no!!! You cost Gore the election! Fuck you,
bitch!"

Petitioner: "We're not asking you to vote for him, just help us get on
the ballot, so that people who would like to vote for him will have that
right."

Liberal Yuppie: "I don't care about your rights. You're going to hell!"

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Politics/Chretien081004.html>

The Situation in Haiti and Canada's Role

| Yves Engler |

Four and a half months ago the Liberal government sent troops to a
foreign country without the legally elected host government's
permission. Since February 29, Haiti has been occupied by foreign troops
and a pro-U.S. government has been installed. The Canadian media, and
the rest of us, have been nearly silent.

At the end of February, Haiti was front-page news. The Globe and Mail's
Paul Knox was there and CanWest's 11 daily papers ran stories from the
Montreal Gazette's once-progressive Sue Montgomery. Both reported on
President Jean-Bernard Aristide's authoritarianism, drug connections and
"thuggish" supporters, known as the chimères. Neither gave much credence
to other side of the story and now that Aristide is in exile in South
Africa, the Canadian media have lost all interest.

So, what's going on?

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Politics/Engler081004.html>

Scientists as Modern Colonialists: The Ancient One and Jack Metcalf

| Macdonald Stainsby |

A recent ruling on the "Kennewick man" bones has deep implications as
yet another in a long line of scientific attacks on indigenous
sovereignty. The recent court decision that the local Indians do not
control the bones despite the non-ambiguous nature of laws passed on
agreements between the nation and the American state is one more
salt-grinding demonstration that sovereignty of First Nations is not
something that a North American government is bound to respect. Not only
is the ruling a legal blast to the existing treaties and legislation, it
is proof that the "above politics" nature of "honest scientific inquiry"
is a total hoax. Before we know it, this will allow a tidal wave of
racist reaction from first-to-fifth generation settlers about First
Nations not really being "first".

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Politics/Stainsby081004.html>

The Edges of "Externality": A Review of The Corporation

| Joe Ramsey |

Following Fahrenheit 9/11 and Super Size Me!, the two docudrama hits of
the season, comes The Corporation, bearing accolades from not only the
Sundance Film Festival, but Premiere magazine, the LA, and New York
Times. Directed by Mark Achbar (previous co-director of Manufacturing
Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media) and Jennifer Abbot, and based on
the book by Joel Bakan-The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of
Power and Profit-this radical Canadian documentary features
Left-notables such as Michael Moore, Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky, and
Naomi Klein, as well as thirty-odd lesser-known corporate experts:
"CEOs, whistle blowers, brokers, gurus, spies, players, pawns, and
pundits," as the film's promotional blurb proudly declares. As both a
critical analysis and a dramatic indictment of the "dominant institution
of our era," The Corporation probes far deeper than Michael Moore and
Morgan Spurlock's work. This film merits serious attention and deserves
a truly super-sized audience, (one that it seems unfortunately, unlikely
to get in the US).

- (Read full) <http://lefthook.org/Reviews/Ramsey081004.html>