[Marxism] George the Sixth I am, I am. Kerry and the U.S. Constitution. Did he misslip?

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Tue Aug 10 09:43:56 MDT 2004

George III, the two Georges and now Kerry rushes in to claim the
prerogative of kings or Caesars. This may give him a lot of trouble.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52839-2004Aug9.html
"Yes, I would have voted for the authority. I believe it was the right
authority for a president to have."

Here is the full resolution: "Authorization for Use of Military Force
Against Iraq Resolution of 2002
U.S. House of Representatives Joint Resolution 114"
http://www.leaderu.com/socialsciences/iraq_war.html
_________

THE CONSTITUTION
Article 1, Sec 8 (11) of the U.S. Constitution states: "Congress shall
have the power... to declare war."

JAMES MADISON
“The Constitution expressly and exclusively vests in the Legislature
the power of declaring a state of war [and] the power of raising
armies. A delegation of such powers [to the president] would have
struck, not only at the fabric of our Constitution, but at the
foundation of all well organized and well checked governments. The
separation of the power of declaring war from that of conducting it, is
wisely contrived to exclude the danger of its being declared for the
sake of its being conducted.” --James Madison, 1793

ALEXANDER HAMILTON
In The Federalist, No. 69 Hamilton notes: "[T]he President is to be
commander-in-chief of the army and navy of the United States. In this
respect his authority would be nominally the same with that of the king
of Great Britain, but in substance much inferior to it. It would amount
to nothing more than the supreme command and direction of the military
and naval forces, as first General and admiral of the confederacy;
while that of the British king extends to the declaring of war and to
the raising and regulating of fleets and armies,--all which, by the
Constitution under consideration, would appertain to the legislature.''
_________

Regarding a conflict with Tripoli, Hamilton, however, pointed out that
if the U.S. was attacked, then we would in fact be at war. However,
this did not foreclose any subsequent official declaration of war.*

Further clarifying information is the "War Powers Resolution" of 1973
passed towards the end of the Vietnam war. But this "act" itself is
merely a declaration passed by joint resolution rather than by the
individual chambers of Congress and it unconstitutionally delegates
power to the President, not in the Constitution. However, even this was
originally purported to be a "liberal" document designed to cut-off
funding of the Vietnam War and was in fact passed over President
Nixon's veto.
The "War Powers Resolution" of 1973 is at
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/warpower.htm

from Brian Shannon
______
*