[Marxism] Wal-Mart Democracy

gdunkel at mindspring.com gdunkel at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 10 21:45:02 MDT 2004

Here's a clip from the Gazatte (Aug. 8, 2004:

Only two McDonald's restaurants in Canada ever operated as a union
shop - the longest for one year.

The most recent was an outlet in Rawdon, where workers
represented by the Confederation des syndicats nationaux negotiated
a first contract in April 2001. But the following August, with two
months left in the collective agreement, their accreditation was
revoked.

The CSN succeeded in November 2000 to win accreditation at the Peel
St. outlet in downtown Montreal. Management announced the following
April, however, it was closing in August, claiming an excessive rent hike.

=======
I was in Montreal when they closed the union McDonalds.  Management
claimesd economic loss.

Even if the laws favor the workers, over similar laws in the U.S., it is thew
relative strength of the workers and the company that determines the
outcome of the struggle, in the final result.

The favorable laws in Canada (and Quebec) testify to the strength of the
labor movement there.  That the workers in Jonquière were able to win
recognition is a victory for them, a testimony to their strength and an
encouragement to workers throughout North America.

Now they have to get a contract.  And it would be good to figure out how
we can help.

/greg