[Marxism] RE: Quoting Winston Churchill- My email from the Nader/ Camejo Campaign

Tony Abdo gojack10 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 07:55:28 MDT 2004

Brian, you are exactly right here.  Why, of all the people to quote, does
the national director of volunteers for Nader pick Churchill?

Brian Shannon..
<<An appropriate quote could have come from Frederick Douglass or Debs
and hundreds of others. Regarding tone, which is what this is about, Camejo
does a lot of this
too. It is hard to overlook his past pandering to Bustamonte and
others. Fortunately he seems to have certain political positions beyond
which he will not go. And I agree that it is important to present
radical ideas without appearing like a "nut.">>

And as regarding appearing like a nut?  What strikes me about this is
exactly the nuttiness of it.  If you are offerring a Left alternative to the
US public, then don't go out an quote the Right.  It makes your campaign
look nutty.

Interesting also are the responses of Mark and Walter here, too.   Mark
conjectures that I invented the email appeal by Nader's campaign by an act
of personal creative fiction on my part!   And says that since I used the
name "Osama', that I'm basically just a stupid bastard for bringing the
whole thing up about this so typical approach of the Nader/ Camejo electoral
combat machine.

I saw Nader at a Green rally in 2000, and this volunteer appeal in 2004 is
the same old hat that I saw with the rally cheerleading the election of
Vicente Fox at the time at that rally in San Antonio.  Nutty then, and nutty
now.  A Left alternative has to openly turn away from cheering Rightists.
If not, you begin to just look like a nutty alternative.  And isn' this the
Democratic Party line on Nader?  That he's just a nut?

Now to Walter's throwing yet more Winston Churchill quotes at me....

Walter <<One of Churchill's most famous sayings, and which I've
loved ever since I discovered it, is one which we ought
to pay close attention to among political leftists in
the so-called "advanced" capitalist countries where it
is often more a propos than many may be aware. It was:

"PERFECTIONISM SPELLS PARALYSIS">>

This too confuses the issue.  Nobody really demands perfection of Nader.  I
didn't demand perfection of the SWP leadership when I was in the SWP.  I did
expect that they needed to not act nutty, or they would disintegrate, which
is exactly what happened.

In similar vein, Nader has to not run around looking for panaceas from the
Right for his Left alternative.  The old SWP found no panacea in the US
industrial sector of the working class, and Nader has no panacea for
building a Left alternative in the US with his electoral machinations.

So here's a Tony Abdo quote for Walter Lippmann.

"LOOKING FOR PANACEAS SPELLS DISINTEGRATION"

And for the doubting Mark Lause, below is the entire email from the Nader
campaign that I received.

Tony

`````````````````````````````````````````````
DearTony,

"Courage is the first of human qualities, because it is the quality which
guarantees all others."
-- Winston Churchill

As everyone has probably realized, the Nader campaign is heavily focused on
ballot access. The obstacles for a third-party or Independent candidacy are
unfathomable. There are states with unusually early signature turn-in
deadlines, such as TX, AZ, IL and IN. There are states with unusually high
signature requirements, such as CA, GA, OK, NC and TX. Then, there are the
19+ swing-states that the Democrats have made it their job to stop us from
achieving ballot access. This has been their stated goal. They will not
succeed because of valiant volunteers like you. See where your state stands!

Here's what you can do: Be more informed! Read what's happening through the
Nader press releases. Start a letter-writing campaign with your friends and
flood the media. Speak out! Be a walking Nader/Camejo message! Purchase your
merchandise today! Get your T-shirts, buttons and bumper stickers and use
them proudly. Also, print-off the many new posters available from the
website and present them in your neighborhood!! Or from the comfort of your
own home, throw a Nader House Party !!

Don't forget to go to your local Nader Meet-Up THIS THURSDAY at 7pm.
(Meet-Up's are not organized by the Nader campaign, it is up to you to make
them happen by participating in the voting process and rsvp-ing)

Have a great week!!!

Amy
National Volunteer Coordinator

**Be sure to subscribe to our updates email list and receive a more
extensive review of the campaign.

**Be sure to donate to the campaign and help us succeed in November!

**If you're NEW to this list serve, check out the Volunteer Newsletter
Archive .

Paid for by Nader for President 2004
To unsubscribe from this mailing, please click here
To unsubscribe from all mailings from VoteNader.org, please click here