[Marxism] A nickel's worth of difference?

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 11 11:15:44 MDT 2004

There seem to be no attacks on Bush posted to Marxmail,
only attacks on Kerry. I keep wondering why that is?

Bush is a terrible president and he should be defeated!
Saying he should be defeated isn't the same as saying
Kerry should be embraced, but Bush SHOULD be repudiated.

It surprises me that so few people on Marxmail actually
say Bush should be defeated. Maybe that's because some
think it would be better if he WEREN'T defeated?

It would be a great thing for the world if Bush were
repudiated by the public in the United States. And to
say that, doesn't say Kerry is better, but I do think
that the protest movements would in fact be energized
if Bush were repudiated, and they would also protest
Kerry's war moves when the inevitably come.

Cuba's Ricardo Alarcon looked at the US elections and
observed, in part (excerpted from the full article):

With regard to Cuba, Alarcón said, the Democratic
challenger has made it clear that he will continue to try
to destroy the nation's political, social and economic
systems. “More of the same,” Alarcón said, although he
admitted that it was difficult for a person with Bush's
absurd anti-Cuban policies “to have emerged,”

Nevertheless, Alarcón reiterated that Bush “stole the
election in 2000, waged war on Iraq with fallacious
arguments, took the U.S. economy – which held $500 billion
– and would return it (if he lost the election) with a $500
billion deficit, and he is the first U.S. president who
must admit that he did not create jobs in his country but
instead reduced them.

“The results of the November elections will depend on
whether millions of Americans, still deceived by Bush, will
open their eyes,” he predicted.

Nevertheless, he stressed, Kerry does not offer a
government program that is really an alternative to Bush.

“The person who has an alternative program is Ralph Nader
[the independent candidate], but we already know – in view
of the traditional structures of U.S. elections – that he
will not win,” Alarcón said.
<http://www.cubaminrex.cu/English/Speeches/Alarcon/2004/alarcon_220704.htm>

"No Illusions in Cuba about the Democrats"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CubaNews/message/28566

Meanwhile, the Bush campaign redbaits John Kerry on Cuba:
http://www.local10.com/news/3642030/detail.html

Counterpunch, August 11, 2004

Bush v. Kerry?
Not Even a Dime's Worth of Difference