[Marxism] A nickel's worth of difference?

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 11 12:54:24 MDT 2004

  I'm not sure what your point is, Walter? For example, you start off
by saying that Bush should be defeated. You then go on to say
that Kerry won't offer an alternative program to Bush, that he will
essentially be mere cloan of Bush policy-wise. And then you end
off by quoting Alarcon saying this much.

So if Kerry won't offer an alternative for American workers, why slag
people for going after him? The other option, of course, is to say
that Bush "needs to be defeated". And then what? Elect Kerry of
course. At least, that's the implicit message behind that slogan,
whether or not YOU ascribe to that goal.

So, assuming Kerry "the liberal" gets elected, you can then bet
you bottom dollar that this whole stupid "two party" charade will
start from scratch. Except the next time around the focus will
become: Is Kerry" too soft",  "too liberal"?

"Is he too much of a spender"? "Is he too weak on terrorism"? etc.

I think the point of focusing on Kerry is to show that he is NO
alternative to Bush. Rather he is  just another rich man's cloan of
Bush, not to mention every other American president preceding
them. The aim should be to make Americans aware that until they
choose an alternative to the two main parties (and better yet to
electoral politics), little if any change for the better will come about.

The "defeat Bush" slogan only serves to perpetuate the notion that
the Bush presidency represents an anamoly in American foreign
policy.

Obviously if one really wants to split hairs, could one make this
point.  I don't think it takes much brain power to know that NO
fundamental differences exist between Bush and Presidents before
him.

Under Bush, conditions erose (namely, 9-11) that allowed policy
abroad to be carried out perhaps with a degree of openess that has
generally been hidden from the American public with previous
military "interventions" (at least those of recent years). Although
the vicisiousness and barbarity of them was just as evident under
Clinton's tenure  (e.g, with Yugoslavia and his "preemptive strikes"
in Sudan, etc), and I imagine this held true for every other miltary
intervention carried out throughout the centuries  in the name of the
U.S. state.

David

From:           	"Walter Lippmann" <walterlx at earthlink.net>