[Marxism] A nickel's worth of difference?

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 12 12:23:47 MDT 2004

There is a word for this style of "de-baiting".
The proper name for this style is "redbaiting".

It's fine for anyone to disagree with what the
Cubans think on this or any other issue, since
they know they cannot influence much beyond by
the power of their positive example. It is the
right idea to want someone less aggressive in
the White House. Common sense should make that
obvious, even to a student of Gramsci.

Walter Lippmann
http://www.walterlippmann.com

Walter Lippmann wrote:
> Here are a few more reasons why Bush should be defeated.

I hate these kinds of Browderesque formulations. Why can't Walter simply
state that the left should use its influence to oust Bush.

> One wonders if some people posting to Marxmail think the
> Cubans are full of illusions about John Kerry?

I don't think that the Cubans are trying to convince USA'ers to vote for
Kerry. Alacron is simply indicating that the Cuban government would
prefer to see somebody less aggressive than Bush in the White House.
That is their privilege. Unlike Stalin's Kremlin, Havana has been
remarkably noninterventionist on questions such as these. It hasn't even
endeavored to create Communist parties based on their model. Good for
them. Walter's devotion to Cuban foreign policy dictates reminds me
unfortunately of the mindset of the CPUSA of the 1930s.