[Marxism] Re: Marxism Digest, Vol 10, Issue 28: The Fourth Stooge speaks:

DHE cuibono at rcip.com
Thu Aug 12 14:21:02 MDT 2004

"In my humble opinion" (sic) -- I can't understand why Tony felt it necessary or appropriate to focus the world's attention on Ms Auer's gaffe. When I opened her email message and saw the quote, I just emailed her back: "Winston fucking CHURCHILL?"

Of course we'd exchanged a little email previously, so I know she understood what I said as constructive criticism, as pulling her coat to a minor slipup, not as an attack. I certainly wouldn't have taken it upon myself to further advertise Churchill Sahib's existence.

That said, I have to admit I'm less than impressed by the general tone of LP & ML's criticisms addressed to Tony. To me they seemed out of character, surprisingly vindictive; certainly not up to the usual standard of LP's contributions -- by which I've come to expect to be impressed indeed.

If we can learn anything from this episode in a teapot, maybe it's that we can understand better some of the things that flowed from Nader's decision to try to run without the Green Party. Of course these are questions that are probably better addressed in some other context than an open listserve -- at least till after the election. They are, however, occupying my mind a great deal at the moment.

I would be most interested in any thoughts about, or information pertaining to these matters others might care to share, preferably off-list?

"Peace-Love-MahatmaGandy-WutcherSign",

Dan Elliott
Sacramento

PS: I think she should have used the quote, but skipped the attribution. It IS an excellent one-liner.

---