[Marxism] Jackson, Kucinich, Asner and Zinn endorse Hugo Chavez

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 12 18:29:24 MDT 2004

Published: Thursday, August 12, 2004
Bylined to: VHeadline.com Reporters

http://www.vheadline.com/printer_news.asp?id=22404

Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson comes out in support of
President Chavez Frias

In an open letter dated today, August 12, 2004, leading US
personalities have addressed President Hugo Chavez Frias on
the occasion of Sunday's crucial Presidential Recall
Referendum (RR) expressing their expectations that he will
win yet another electoral mandate to lead his people into a
prosperous future:

Dear President Chavez,

We are writing to express our solidarity during this
important moment in Venezuela's history. It is our hope and
expectation that, on August 15, you will once again win an
electoral mandate from the Venezuelan people to be their
president.

The world knows that you are achieving something remarkable
in Venezuela: you are investing your country's vast oil
wealth in ways that benefit everyone, not just small
minority of well-connected elites. Over the last year your
government's literacy campaign taught one million
Venezuelans to read. And today, millions of others are
benefiting from the governments investment in job training,
small businesses and health care.

We are disturbed by our own government's interference in
your internal affairs. The National Endowment for Democracy
(NED), a group funded by the U.S. Congress, has financed
radical opposition leaders in their efforts to cut short
your term. Some of the individuals funded by the NED
participated in the April 2002 coup attempt against you.

Polling done by both the Venezuelan government and its
opposition shows that you will defeat the recall referendum
on August 15. We have every expectation that on August 16
Venezuelan relations with the U.S. government will begin to
improve.

We are committed to doing what we can, as U.S. citizens, to
heal those relationships and encourage Congress and the
White House to see Venezuela not only as a model democracy
but also as a model of how a country's oil wealth can be
used to benefit all of its people.

Sincerely,
Reverend Jesse Jackson
Congressman Dennis Kucinich