[Marxism] "Fallujah stands by Najaf against America": protests across Iraq

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Fri Aug 13 16:39:32 MDT 2004

Hi Fred

The silence from al-Sistani is very significant, is it not?
His prestige and authority is right on the line.  He took off
to London to get out of the way and to allow the Americans to
finish off al-Sadr.  But the fact that he is on holiday in
Britain at all, is surely a black mark against him with the
Shia.

What happens now is anyone's guess.

It is unity betwen the sunni and hte Shia that will defeat
the imperialist push.  That is very clear.  Whether it can be
achieved is another quesiton.  Certainly yo are correct, I
think, about the significance of the pro-Sadr demo in
Fallujah.

I often think that if one steps back from one's revolutionary
consciousness, then one can regain something of the sense of
how outrageous events, such as what is happening in Najaf,
really are.  The problem with we Marxists, is that we do not
expect anything from the enemy.

But by bourgeois standards, how can the attack on the Shia be
even remotely justified?  WMD, getting rid of Saddam,
building democracy, threat to the West - none of that cant
applies even remotely.

The latest line that "criminal elements" have infiltrated the
Mahdi army is particularly pathetic.

The Americans are slaughtering the poor of the slums, who
with no tanks, planes, or helicipoters, or body armour have
taken up rifles to defend their country and sacred sites
against the most powerful army in the world.

These though are the blows that will not break the back of
the people of Iraq.

That the Americans will learn to their cost.

regards

Gary