[Marxism] Million Worker March

Scotlive at aol.com Scotlive at aol.com
Sat Aug 14 02:35:59 MDT 2004

Having just attended a meeting for the upcoming Million Worker March to take
place in Washington DC on October 17, I urge everyone to put the word out and
raise awareness of this historic event within the US labor movment. Even those
comrades who do not reside in the US, I urge to get involved by raising
awareness in their respective countries and logging  on to the website -
www.millionworkemarch.org.

Clarence Thomas, former secretary treasurer of ILWU, Local 10, gave a
fantastic political talk at the IAC office in LA tonight. He spoke about the need for
a genuinely grassroots movement for social and economic justice in the US,
with workers and labor in the vanguard. He thoroughly rejects the ABB doctrine,
and when you consider some of the movement's demands, you can see why:

- Universal single-care health care from cradle to grave that ends the
stranglehold of greedy insurance companies and secures health care as a right of all
people in America.

- A national living wage that lifts people permanently out of poverty.

- Protection and enhancement of Social Security immune to privatization.

- Guaranteed pensions that sustain a decent life for all working people.

- The cancellation of all corporate "free" trade agreements, including NAFTA,
MAI and FTAA.

- An end to privatization, contracting out, deregulation and the pitting of
workers against each other across national boundaries in a mad race to the
bottom.

- For workers' right to organize and for a repeal of Taft Hartley and all
anti-labor legislation.

- Funding public education in a crash program to restore our decaying and
abandoned schools with state of the art school facilities in every community.

- Funding a vast army of teachers to end functional illiteracy in America and
unleash the talent and potential of our abandoned children and adults.

- Launching a national training program in skills and capacities that will
enlist our people in rebuilding our country and putting an end to both the
criminalization of poverty and the prison-industrial complex.

- Rebuilding our decaying inner cities with clean, modern and affordable
housing and eliminating homelessness in America with guaranteed housing and jobs
for all.

- Progressive taxation that increases taxation on corporations and the rich
while providing relief for the working class and poor.

- An end to the poisoning of the atmosphere, soil, water and food supply with
a national emergency program to restore the environment, end global warming
and preserve our endangered eco-system.

- Creating efficient, modern and free mass transit in every city and town.

- Repeal of the Patriot Act, Anti-Terrorism Act and all such repressive
legislation.

- Slash the military budget and recover the trillions of dollars stolen from
our labor to enrich the corporations that profit from war.

- Open the books on the secret budgets of the Pentagon and the intelligence
agencies in the service of corporations and banks and the pursuit of imperial
war on the poor everywhere.

- Extend democracy to our economic structure so that all decisions affecting
the lives of our citizens are made by working people who produce all value
through their labor.

- An aggressive enforcement of all civil rights and a national education
campaign and mobilization against all racist and discriminatory acts in the work
place and in our communities.

- Amnesty for all undocumented workers

- Increase in federal funding for the Arts in public schools

- For a democratic media that allow labor and all voices to be heard and
oppose monopolization and union busting of media workers.

This could be it - the spark - finally, and at last, a militant, cohesive,
united movement for social change in the United States.

It's time!

Scot