Khrushchev (was: Re: [Marxism] Petty Bourgeois--the consciousness yardstick

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sat Aug 14 06:51:49 MDT 2004

I think that I already sent this info to the list once.  But it is
worth repeating.

Respuesta a: Khrushchev (was: Re: [Marxism] Petty Bourgeois--t
Remitido por: Lou Paulsen
Fecha: Viernes 13 de Agosto de 2004
Hora: 10:06
*****

> We had a whole group of locomotive engineers, for
> example, with small businesses on the side.

In a sense, and maybe even through the US 1970s too, locomotive
engineers were a peculiar aristocracy of labor.  When nobody could
move faster than on a train, they were the "jet liner commanders" of
the time.

In Argentina, up to 1945, this was compounded by the general fact
that onboard personnel in the trains were a particular section of a
particulary privileged section of the working class: the privileged
ranks of the privileged workers of the main imperialist asset in
Argentina, the railroad network.

During the early 1940s,  Oraldo Britos (a union organizer with a long
history later on) was "ground personnel", that is porter at a
provincial capital RR station in Inland Argentina. He came from a
Creole family, as most people working in the stations.  He wanted to
fight for the porter's, etc., rights, and was looking for advice.

Someone told him that there was a well known union organizer in the
line he was working at, an engineer, and that the man used to stop at
the station where Britos worked when driving a long distance
passenger train.

So that he waited for this guy to come to the station, and tried to
speak to him.  He had barely stepped up one step on the engine's
ladder, and the boot of this great union organizer was already on
Britos's face, while the organizer shouted "Aquí no suben negros" (No
Creoles admitted up here).

Talk of petty-bougeois tendencies among engineers.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822