[Marxism] Mark Lause on sociology as "unscientific" and "bourgeois"-additionally

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sun Aug 15 09:37:48 MDT 2004

Jurriaan wrote, "Lause can moreover hardly claim to be any less
bourgeois than the people he attacks."   This rather underscores the
point that Jurriaan has fallen entirely into the trap of ignoring POWER.
Where I was, a professor gets a paycheck and nothing more.  For
Jurriaan, the label puts me in the same class as an academic with
six-figure income, grants, consulting fees, government connections, etc.
It is a delusion fostered by the way the prevailing institutions opted
to label us--and one Jurriaan reechoes here.  So all professors are
"bourgeois" and none is "any less bourgeois" than any other.

This is why I raised the questions about what is and isn't supervisory
or managerial.  What is an "employer" or "self-employed" or
"entrepreneur" when they use these things?  I suspect these are as
smudged as Jurriaan has smudged my job title.

So, we are back to the question.  What is the "pettit bourgeoisie" and
how do we define it?

Solidarity!
Mark L.