[Marxism] Mark Lause on sociology as "unscientific" and "bourgeois"

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Sun Aug 15 13:14:00 MDT 2004

I also don't know why Juriaan is over-reacting to what should be
non-controversial. The social (and natural, for that matter) sciences are
ideological products of the dominant institutions of our class society. And
didn't even Karl "The dominant ideas of every age are the ideas of the
ruling class" Marx consider that his ideas were a product of bourgeois
society? Sociology in its concepts, methods and applications, is bourgeois,
just as my own field, biology, is. It would have been a different matter to
state categorically that "therefore its conclusions are invalid." One need
merely indicate the valuable contributions to our understanding of
Bourgeois society made by Domhoff or Mills (or Darwin, Einstein, etc.,
etc.) to show that the latter assertion is wrong. But they are/were clearly
operating within the framework of bourgeois academia, and even their
positive contributions have to be assessed in that light. As for Mark's
assertion that "the "social sciences" are not "scientific" in the sense
that chemistry, physics, etc. are," that comes close to being a Popperian
concept. Do you, Mark, share Karl Popper's disdain for the "unfalsifiable"
historical natural sciences, as well? Is Darwinian evolution
"unscientific"? Paleontology? My own field of phylogenetic systematics?
What about "social sciences" like physical anthropology? Where do you draw
the line? More importantly, HOW do you draw the line? Remember, bourgeois
does NOT equal unscientific.

Mike