[Marxism] Re: Precautionary Principle and Responsible Consumption

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Sun Aug 15 20:19:55 MDT 2004

Thanks, this is a useful site. The basic approach seems to be this:

>>Ecological Economics, a more valid measurement which factors in the costs
of industrial production to the environment and public health<<

This is exactly what I meant by "internalising externalities". The basic
idea is a familiar one in bourgeois economics, but the value of the site is
that they are fighting to force corporations to do it, which in turn opens
up opportunities for Marxists.

The "Precautionary Principle" strikes me as a specific application of a
general one: that society should be guided by human need, not by profit.
Which brings us back to Marxism.