[Marxism] Re: NYT spinning the news from Venezuela

Lou Paulsen loupaulsen at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 16 15:06:58 MDT 2004

--- Walter Lippmann <walterlx at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Does someone have a URL or a copy of an article
> saying Chavez was on "the brink of defeat"? I'd
> like to add that to the "Dewey Defeats Truman"
> file. Thanks very much anyone who has this.
>

> Walter Lippmann

Here you go, Walter - this seems to be the same article from the
Independent, which has been taken down from their website by now, but
which is still on line at the Belfast Telegraph.  Copy it fast! :-)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=551954

"The Venezuelan President, Hugo Chavez, looked to be losing his grip on
power last night as exit polls showed him to be trailing the opposition
by almost a million votes.

"The figures were early indications that, for the first time in the
country's history, the President may have his term in office cut short
by a referendum.

"The mid-morning results showed that the opposition, already boasting
an enormous 1,758,000 votes [69%!! *laugh*]  to Chavez's 798,000, is
well on its way to reaching the target of 3.76 million votes it needs
to oust the authoritarian, left-wing President.  "

Lou Paulsen