[Marxism] Give me a break dept: Opposition leader demands new referendum!

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Tue Aug 17 22:08:59 MDT 2004

Published: Tuesday, August 17, 2004,  <http://www.vheadline.com/>
http://www.Vheadline.com
Bylined to: Patrick J. O'Donoghue

Mendoza seeks support from the OAS General Secretary for new referendum

Miranda State Governor and Coordinadora Democratica (CD) leader, Enrique
Mendoza has latched on to a declaration made by Organization of American
States (OAS) president, Cesar Gaviria about presenting proof of fraud.

"We will not rest until we prove that the will of Venezuelans has been
ignored and penalize those responsible ... we want them to know that
neither time nor effort are obstacles ... justice will be done."

Enrique Mendoza

Replying to criticism from opposition sectors, Mendoza has offered
apologies for not being combatant and vociferous minutes after the
National Elections Council (CNE) announced the first bulletin of results
on Monday morning in the early hours ... "I feel the same rage, the same
annoyance, the same pain as all of you but one must continue  fighting
for what one believes in, for what we want ... they may have ridden us
of our signatures but they can't rid us of justice ... they may have
robbed us of the elections but they cannot rob us of our country."

The CD's leading presidential candidate to date says the opposition is
collecting documents to present concrete and detailed complaints of
fraud. "We accept the OAS general secretary's position and as Venezuelan
democrats we will present international organs with evidence that will
leave them no alternative but to accompany us in questioning the
electoral process and to request a repeation of elections in conditions
that guarantee transparency."

Reports have been coming in that top opposition leaders have ignored
advice from international bodies to accept the results, undertake a
detailed analyses of performance and prepare for regional elections this
year and presidential elections in 2006 ... however, it has been learned
that some leaders are prepared to push that line.