When Left Parties are Appropriate was Re: [Marxism] Re: The Barnes School of Falsification

andrew c pollack andypollack at juno.com
Wed Aug 18 15:56:49 MDT 2004

As someone who left Solidarity, I can say the problem with Solidarity is
precisely that it doesn't call itself a party. That's why -- although
Adam is right that its labor work is better than the SWP's -- better in
the sense of doing real, sustained work -- it is less so than the type of
union work the SWP did under Cannon and Dobbs. That's because Solidarity
consciously and explicitly refuses to play a leadership role -- but like
any group doing so its leadership ends up consisting of fighting those
who try to provide leadership.

As for Lou's justification of many isolated parties: there's a difference
between regrouping reformist and revolutionary groups -- which as he says
correctly should be done at the level of action -- and regrouping them
into a party, a recipe for confusion and failure.

But regroupment of revolutionaries into a party is sorely needed.