[Marxism] more of the absurd re US support of Chavez

michael a. lebowitz mlebowit at sfu.ca
Thu Aug 19 09:16:18 MDT 2004

from Georgie Ann Geyer (on Yahoo News):

We now have in Venezuela the first revolution in Latin America (if we can
quite call it a revolution) that is totally supported by the United States.

[SNIP]

The Venezuelan story gets crazier and crazier.

Six years ago when Chavez was running for president and I interviewed him
for several hours, at one point he was sitting on his couch underneath a
huge and vivid painting of his hero Simon Bolivar and talking into his cell
phone with such passion that for a moment I had the fleeting impression
that he was actually talking to Bolivar, dead these many years.

When I see what has happened now -- with American oil companies, and indeed
through them the American people, financing the virulently anti-American
Chavez revolution -- I can only think that talking to Bolivar might be one
of the more believable things happening.

Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at
Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724