[Marxism] Iraqi soccer players angered by Bush campaign ads featuring team

Adam Levenstein cleon42 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 13:50:15 MDT 2004

Oh, this is PRICELESS...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/writers/08/19/iraq/index.html?cnn=yes

Some excerpts:

. . .

Ahmed Manajid, who played as a midfielder on Wednesday, had an even
stronger response when asked about Bush's TV advertisement. "How will
he meet his god having slaughtered so many men and women?" Manajid told
me. "He has committed so many crimes."

. . .

"My problems are not with the American people," says Iraqi soccer coach
Adnan Hamad. "They are with what America has done in Iraq: destroy
everything. The American army has killed so many people in Iraq. What
is freedom when I go to the [national] stadium and there are shootings
on the road?"

. . .

Manajid, 22, who nearly scored his own goal with a driven header on
Wednesday, hails from the city of Fallujah. He says coalition forces
killed Manajid's cousin, Omar Jabbar al-Aziz, who was fighting as an
insurgent, and several of his friends. In fact, Manajid says, if he
were not playing soccer he would "for sure" be fighting as part of the
resistance.

"I want to defend my home. If a stranger invades America and the people
resist, does that mean they are terrorists?" Manajid says. "Everyone
[in Fallujah] has been labeled a terrorist. These are all lies.
Fallujah people are some of the best people in Iraq."