[Marxism] Olympic soccer/basletball, Iraqis and Yugoslavs

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Thu Aug 19 19:02:33 MDT 2004

The Iraqi Olympic soccer team deserves a place in the history of that
country.  Their German coach fled away as soon as bullets began to
whistle their way around.  They were denied the training
installations that the "atrocious" Saddamist regime had prepared for
them (Iraqi swimmers were also forced to train in the river, because
their pools had been captured for leisure of American soldiers).
They have relatives in danger.  They were in danger themselves.

And, they were a surprise during the Games.

I bow at them.  Iraq is not a country with a strong soccer tradition,
which makes their feat twice as important.

Something that makes me sad, on the other side, is the poor
performance of the Yugoslav (they will _not_ force me to write
"Serbian and Montenegrin") soccer and basket teams.  They were quite
below their standard production, which of course favored the
Argentinean teams, but is sad anyway.

Respuesta a: [Marxism] Iraqi soccer players ange
Remitido por: Adam Levenstein
Fecha: Jueves 19 de Agosto de 2004
Hora: 12:50
*****

> Oh, this is PRICELESS...
>
> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/writers/08/19/iraq
> /index.html?cnn=yes
>
> Some excerpts:
>
> . . .
>
> Ahmed Manajid, who played as a midfielder on Wednesday, had an even
> stronger response when asked about Bush's TV advertisement. "How will
> he meet his god having slaughtered so many men and women?" Manajid
> told me. "He has committed so many crimes."
>
> . . .
>
> "My problems are not with the American people," says Iraqi soccer
> coach Adnan Hamad. "They are with what America has done in Iraq:
> destroy everything. The American army has killed so many people in
> Iraq. What is freedom when I go to the [national] stadium and there
> are shootings on the road?"
>
> . . .
>
> Manajid, 22, who nearly scored his own goal with a driven header on
> Wednesday, hails from the city of Fallujah. He says coalition forces
> killed Manajid's cousin, Omar Jabbar al-Aziz, who was fighting as an
> insurgent, and several of his friends. In fact, Manajid says, if he
> were not playing soccer he would "for sure" be fighting as part of the
> resistance.
>
> "I want to defend my home. If a stranger invades America and the
> people resist, does that mean they are terrorists?" Manajid says.
> "Everyone [in Fallujah] has been labeled a terrorist. These are all
> lies. Fallujah people are some of the best people in Iraq."

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar

Buenos Aires, 1822