[Marxism] Scientists Say Risk of Water Wars Rising

Derek S. dws_1980 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 12:31:21 MDT 2004

Scientists Say Risk of Water Wars Rising
Fri Aug 20, 9:20 AM ET
By Patrick McLoughlin

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - The risk of wars being fought
over water is rising because of explosive global
population growth and widespread complacency,
scientists said on Friday.

"We have had oil wars," said Professor William Mitsch.
"That's happened in our lifetime. Water wars are
possible."

Scientists at the World Water Week conference which
began on Sunday in Stockholm said that ignorance and
complacency were widespread in wealthier countries.

"I don't know what will shake these regions out of
complacency other than the fact there will be
droughts, pestilence and wars that break out over
water rights," said Mitsch, professor of natural
resources at Ohio State University.

Mitsch told Reuters potential flashpoints included the
Middle East.

"Continuing on our present path will mean more
conflict," a report by International Water Management
Institute (IWMI) said.

With the world's population growing at exponential
rates there was extreme pressure on water supplies to
provide drinking water and food, said scientists at
the Stockholm gathering.

"In 2025 we will have another two billion people to
feed and 95 percent of these will be in urban areas,"
said Professor Jan Lundqvist of Stockholm
International Water Institute.

The answer was sustained investment in infrastructure.

An estimated $80 billion was invested each year in the
water sector, but this needed to at least double, said
Professor Frank Rijsberman, the IWMI's director
general.

"I think if I look at the numbers I can't immediately
see a way out over the next few years," said IWMI
report co-author Dr David Molden. "I think we will
reach a real crisis."