[Marxism] Moderator's note

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 21 06:28:32 MDT 2004

After "Scotlive" flamed Jurriaan (who had already unsubbed), I sent him a
note warning him that I would unsub him if he ever flamed another list
member again. He told me that I could unsub him there and then and I obliged.

Unfortunately, things got rather heated around the "petty bourgeois" thread
while I had no access to the Internet so I wasn't able to step in.

Mark made a good suggestion. When Jurriaan began putting his name into the
subject header, it not only polarized the discussion needlessly; it also
exposed Mark's name to the kind of scrutiny that may or may not involve
employment or other security issues. In the future, I would ask comrades
not to use somebody else's name in the header--unless its me, I thrive on
notoriety.

Finally, another suggestion. If you are concerned about your name showing
up in Google with a Marxmail post about the need to strangle the ruling
class with its own entrails, etc. and destroying your chance for a job with
some accounting firm, etc., you should not use your real name. I would only
ask that you use something that sounds like a name and not "Scotlive",
etc., which I always found offputting. It reminds me too much of Usenet,
where tags like Troll Killer or Blackdragon predominate.