[Marxism] Review of Stan Goff's "Full Spectrum Disorder"

paul bunyan cutemdown2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 09:08:51 MDT 2004

>Yes, I think it's much better to merely pass judgment based on prior
>experience rather than subject oneself to the discomfort of having to think
>critically - and perhaps even change your mind - about something one is
>already an expert on.

Maggie

I have read the book. It offers some outstanding analysis. The weakness, is that it doesn't offer any constuctive insight on what to do. Like Michael Moore, Goff suffers from the "Sherlock Holmes syndrome", that is, "I am on the case, and everyone must do as I say". From what I can gather he basically has a urban guerralist orientation on what needs to be done, and goes overboard on gratitous left bashing. Everything the left has done before he came on the scene is worthless, as are people who dedicate their lives to building a better society. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, and asking ourselves if we couldn't have done things a bit differently. Goff goes way beyond that._

As far as his military past, that's a non issue. People change. _____
Marxism mailing list
Marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu