[Marxism] Venezuela: oil royalties versus capital flight:

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Sat Aug 21 17:06:40 MDT 2004

This is the sort of conclusion a pure economic determinist, a technocrat,
not a Marxist, would reach. Venezuela isn't a "rentier state," but a source
of raw materials for imperialism. And the point isn't the source of the
value being redistributed in Venezuela by Hugo Chavez, but the political
transformation that occurs as a colonized nation challenges imperialist
hegemony AND laboring classes challenge the oligarchic hold on state and
economy. It don't mean shit that now they're capturing a bigger piece of
the pie. To see Venezuela's true insertion in the world economy, do a
little thought experiment: pretend that the world market price of oil
falls, as it did with sugar in the case of Cuba. Venezuela gets fucked.
But, does this mean that redistribution and the political process stops?