[Marxism] Fwd: CFP: Graduate Symposium: Women's and Gender History

Christopher Carrico ccarrico at temple.edu
Sat Aug 21 19:45:43 MDT 2004

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:17:28 -0500
From: "Symposium" <gendersymp at ad.uiuc.edu>
Subject: CFP: The Sixth Annual Graduate Symposium on Women's
and Gender History: "Intersecting Gender in the Academy and
Beyond"

Call for Papers:

"Intersecting Gender in the Academy and Beyond"
The Sixth Annual Graduate Symposium on Women's and Gender
History University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
March 10-12, 2005

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 15, 2004

Twenty years after Joan Scott's "Gender as a Useful Category
of Historical Analysis," the Sixth Annual Graduate Symposium
on Women's and Gender History at the University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign announces a call for papers in order to
re-evaluate gender as a category of analysis. How has your
work embraced or challenged gender? How does it intersect
with other categories of identity such as race, class, and
sexuality? How has activism around gendered issues shaped
your work? How (and should) we as scholars integrate both
activism and gendered identities into our lives?

We invite submissions from graduate students from any
institution on any subject within its historical context
that might grow out of a variety of disciplines and engage
diverse methodologies and topics. We also welcome panel
submissions of three papers united by a common theme,
although each of the three papers will be judged on its own
merits. Finally, we encourage panels analyzing the state of
the field in women's and gender history, engaging with a
work or body of work that has been influential in the field,
and/or dealing with the intersections of gender, race,
class, and sexuality.

The Symposium welcomes as its Plenary Speakers for 2005:
Eileen J. Suarez Findlay, author of Imposing Decency: The
Politics of Sexuality and Race in Puerto Rico, 1880-1920
(Duke University Press, 1999) and Brenda Child, author of
Boarding School Seasons: American Indian Families, 1900-1940
(University of Nebraska Press, 2000.) Both Findlay and Child
will participate in a roundtable on activism and
multiculturalism in the academy on Saturday, March 12th.
Inspiration for papers or panels might come from (but are
not limited to) the following themes:

* (Re)Defining Gender
* Race, Gender, Class, and Activism
* The Historiography of Race and Gender
* Activism in the Academy
* Women Encountering Women across Boundaries of Time, Place,
and Identity

Submission Guidelines: All submissions must be received by
November 15, 2004.
To submit a paper or panel in a hard copy format, please
send five (5) copies of a 250-word abstract AND a one-page
curriculum vitae for each paper presenter, commentator, or
panel chair to:
Programming Committee
Graduate Symposium on Women's and Gender History
309 Gregory Hall, MC 466
810 South Wright Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801

To submit a paper or panel by email, please send ONLY ONE
attachment in Word format containing all abstracts and
curriculum vitae. The subject line of the email must read
Attn: Programming Committee and should be sent to
gendersymp at uiuc.edu <mailto:gendersymp at uiuc.edu> . We cannot
be responsible for submissions that do not meet these
conditions.
We invite graduate students to serve as commentators and
professors to serve as chairs for panels. Panel submissions
are highly encouraged to find chairs and commentators best
suited to comment on the work presented and should include a
one-paragraph description of the panel as well as curriculum
vitae for all participants including the commentator and/or
chair. The Symposium also welcomes individuals to
participate as commentators or chairs exclusive of the panel
submissions. These individuals should submit curriculum
vitae to gendersymp at uiuc.edu <mailto:gendersymp at uiuc.edu>
with the subject line: Attn: Programming Committee.

All accepted papers are eligible for the Gender & History
Graduate Student Essay Prize, sponsored by the journal
Gender & History, to be awarded at the conference.
Conference presenters may also publish their work in the on-
line Proceedings volume. Preference will be given to those
who did not present a paper last year.
For more information:

Please contact Programming Committee Chair April Lindsey at
gendersymp at uiuc.edu <mailto:gendersymp at uiuc.edu>
>Or visit our website at: http://www.history.uiuc.edu/hist%
20grad%20orgs/WGHS/WGHS.html