[Marxism] Fw: Bush Invaded Iraq to 'Secure Israel, ' Says Sen. Hollings

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 22 04:14:25 MDT 2004

Date sent:      	Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:14:00 -0500
From:           	Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

> Adam Levenstein wrote:
> >
> > --- Dan Elliott <cuibono at rcip.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Bush Invaded Iraq to 'Secure Israel,' Says Sen. Hollings (Aug 20)
> > >
> > > By Mark Weber
> >
> > I thought that name sounded familiar, then I saw his email address:
> >
> > > Mark Weber (weber at ihr.org).
> >
> > Mark Weber is one of the leading voices of Holocaust denial in the US.
>
> In the light of this, it would be interesting to compare Weber's
> quotations from Hollings with their total context in both the newspaper
> column and the Senate speech. I was bothered by some of the emphases in
> Weber's post when I first read it -- particularly the emphasis on
> re-election as Bush's motive. That emphasis (a) separates the Iraq War
> from its ultimate context in u.s. imperialism and (b) tends towards an
> over-emphasis on the power of the Zionist lobby in the U.S. and thereby
> diverts from exploring the willingness (even anxiousness) of the u.s.
> ruling class over the decades to support Israel.>>>>

Agree but...

> If really important sectors of the ruling class and their political
> allies wished to resist the Zionist lobbies, they would not have all
> that much difficulty in doing so. The apparent success of AIPAC probably
> reflects not so much its own power but rather the fact that ruling
> figures would _for their own motives_ support Israel whether AIPAC
> existed or not!

  "really important" sections of the ruling class are Zionists -- and
Jewish -- and support Israel first and foremost because of this. So -
yes AIPAC may have not been who pushed the U.S  into
supporting Israel, but it is certainly the group who keeps
politicians from falling out of line on matters in congress of concern
to Israel.

IF this wasn't so,  it wouldn't waste its time spending millions each
year lobbying these politicians, and on going after those who fall
who defy zionist doctrine.

> But part of Hollings's speech has another interest: his insistence that
> the Iraq War was a mistake! There may well be enough disillusionment re
> the war among sectors of the ruling class that, if we can build a large
> and militant anti-war movement, we will find ourselves pushing against
> an unlocked door!>>>>

  Obviously, he is not being sincere.