[Marxism] Reply to Jack "Bluesong" Vogel:

Jack F. Vogel jfv at bluesong.net
Sun Aug 22 13:52:52 MDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:12:18AM -0700, Dan Elliott wrote:

>  "Hostile"? "Stressed"? Of course I'm stressed.
> Anybody contending with what I've got on my plate
> every day is gonna be stressed. I'm an activist --
> stress goes with the job description.
>
> I'm not sitting up in any leafy campus, in any booklined
> ivory tower professor's office, with the latest IT goodies
> & a university library ready to deliver any book I want
> right to my door.

> Like I said, if you aren't acquainted with the sources
> I've provided, you don't know what you're talking about,
> & you ought to keep quiet.

We've had a couple of examples in the past few weeks of
subscribers denigrating "professors". Given the history
of struggle in the past 50 years and the involvement
of the campus in that, it seems to be uncalled for, and
just some petty anti-intellectualism or snobbery coming
out.

Marx may not have been a university professor, but he
certainly was a PhD, and a library-frequenting researcher.

Being an 'activist', and you seem to imply that Carrol
or myself arent?, does NOT require one to be rude and
offensive to others. As a matter of fact, building our
movement calls for quite the opposite in our day.

Solidarity,

Jack