[Marxism] Britain: soldier opposed to Iraq war commits suicide

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Mon Aug 23 19:24:48 MDT 2004

    Britain: soldier opposed to Iraq war commits suicide

          By Robert Stevens

**
<http://wsws.org/articles/2004/aug2004/army-a23_prn.shtml>*http://wsws.org/articles/2004/aug2004/army-a23.shtml
<mailto:editor at wsws.org>*

On August 10, the funeral of Private Peter Mahoney, a soldier with the
Territorial Army (TA) who served for six months in the war against Iraq
in 2003, was held at St. Aidan’s church in his hometown of Carlisle,
England.

On August 3, the 45-year-old father of four had committed suicide by
gassing himself in his family car. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning
after attaching a hosepipe to the exhaust of the car parked in his
garage at his home in Botcherby, on the outskirts of Carlisle. Mahoney
was wearing his old TA uniform and had shaved his head in a regulation
military style.

He was discovered by Donna, his wife of 21 years and a staff nurse at
the local Cumberland Infirmary. She called the emergency services, which
were unable to revive him. An inquest into his death has been opened and
adjourned.

In Iraq Mahoney was attached to the Royal Logistics Corps, responsible
for taking medical supplies and injured soldiers between the front line
and British Army field hospitals near the Kuwaiti border.

While Mahoney did not die in Iraq, his experiences there undoubtedly
contributed to his suicide, making him another casualty of the criminal
and illegal invasion by the United States and Britain.

Mahoney was profoundly disillusioned by his experiences in Iraq, which
had confirmed his belief prior to and during the war that it was a war
of aggression and that claims that Saddam Hussein possessed “weapons of
mass destruction” were lies.

On July 16, following his return from the Persian Gulf, Mahoney gave an
outspoken interview to his local newspaper condemning the war and the
administrations of President George W. Bush and Prime Minister Tony
Blair for engaging in a war of plunder. His comments also indicate that
his views were shared by other soldiers that he was in contact with.

Mahoney told the newspaper: “The general consensus among the troops was
that we were in Iraq so George Bush could seize control of the oil
fields. All this talk of weapons of mass destruction was simply a
smokescreen as far as we were concerned. There was certainly no evidence
they existed. From what we saw Saddam’s regime did not have advanced
weapons. Iraqi troops were using ancient Russian machines. They were
firing sticks and stones. They might as well have had catapults.”

Mahoney continued, “I think Tony Blair was just following whatever Bush
said. He was simply his puppet. He got in too deep and couldn’t back out.”

In his letter, Mahoney spoke about his plans for the future and of how
he intended to leave the Armed Forces permanently. “I was considering
leaving the TA before I went out there but I will definitely be leaving
when my time is officially up in September. I will be happy to turn my
back on the TA. It also gives my wife and children peace of mind.”

Mahoney quit the Territorial Army in September and made plans to
undertake employment at the local poultry factory. He eventually took up
a job recycling waste as an employee of the local authority. He was also
in the process of reconciliation with his wife who he planned to go on
holiday with when he took his life. The couple had agreed to split five
weeks before his suicide, following his descent into depression as a
result of his war experiences.

*“A broken man”*

Following his death, Donna spoke of how he had changed as a person
following his time in Iraq. She said: “Iraq changed him. I don’t know
what happened because I wasn’t in his head but it changed him. He was a
broken man. I really don’t know what happened out there.”

full: http://wsws.org/articles/2004/aug2004/army-a23.shtml