[Marxism] Re: What is the function of a revolutionary party?

Mike Friedman mikedf at mail.amnh.org
Tue Aug 24 09:17:54 MDT 2004

This is why what Lou said regarding goals of a party is true: I think
imperialist war is but ONE issue, one pillar of the existing order. The
other is oppression, at home and abroad. Racism, chauvinism, sexism,
homophobia, etc. Even now, in the throes of Bush's "eternal wars," at this
moment, in our society, I believe that racism and white skin privilege
impose the greatest burden (and feminists will, perhaps, disagree...) on
and for any movement for social change. It is central to untying the
gordian knot that is our capitalism. How can you separate racism from any
major issue of our time? Imperialist war? Environmental destruction?
Assault on democratic rights? Prison-industrial complex? Even more than
justifying all of the above and imposing horrors on its victims, it divides
us and turns some of us into proprietors of the existing system.