[Marxism] Six Grim Consequences of the ABB Plague

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Wed Aug 25 21:37:48 MDT 2004

/"I'd rather vote for something I want and not get it than
vote for something I don't want, and get it."/
- Eugene V. Debs

http://lefthook.org/Politics/Alam082304.html

[yes the shameless self promotion continues unabated...]

Six Grim Consequences of the Anybody

But Bush Plague

- *by M. Junaid Alam*

The Anybody But Bush plague has infected the American left with ruthless
speed and efficiency. Descrying how, why, and under what circumstances
this or that particular leftist figure has fallen victim to it is a
rather cumbersome and tedious task best left to the coroners of history.
It seems far more prudent now to identify, in concrete terms, the most
important consequences the ABB epidemic will have on our attempts to
reshape society along more just and rational lines. Below, I outline six
of them.

*One: *The first and most devastating consequence of ABB politics in the
short-term is that it has resulted in total political paralysis on the
burning question of war in Iraq. It is irrefutable that this issue more
than any other currently occupies the full attention of the American
public; polls have found that it ranks above any other foreign or
domestic among the electorate, and that a continually growing -now
majority - part of the population opposes the war. It is equally
irrefutable that John Kerry and the Democratic Party have decided not to
jeopardize the ruling-class consensus to continue and deepen the war
effort: far from opposing the war, their goal is to appear as more
efficient and responsible executors of the war than the Bush team.

For a left which has placed its neck in the noose of the Democratic
Party the implication is obvious: the priority is to elect Kerry, not
oppose the war. A major segment of the leadership and the rank-and-file
they influence in the anti-war movement are currently scurrying about
getting out the vote for John Kerry. The main intellectual and political
firepower of the liberal anti-war left is and has been directed at
whipping up the ABB frenzy, slandering Nader, painting Bush as Hitler
reborn - in other words, not focused on Iraq. This represents a
tremendous failure to capitalize upon an enormous opportunity: to
galvanize and consolidate public anti-war sentiment into a powerful
domestic movement to end the war at this pivotal stage of conflict.
Instead, with the drive to vote for pro-war Kerry, all that is being
built up is false illusions among the many who stand against war, and
the pay envelope of the few who kneel before power.

rest: http://lefthook.org/Politics/Alam082304.html