[Marxism] Re: Afghanistan: US Puppet Karzai Embraces 'Our Taliban'

David Quarter davidquarter at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 25 23:32:38 MDT 2004

From: 	Rick Rozoff

http://www.afghanistan.org/news_detail.asp?17113

[Hamid Karzai, an American citizen, one of whose
brothers once ran a lucrative restaurant business
blocks away from me on the North Side of Chicago,
currently US-appointed satrap of the Transitional
Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, former CIA asset in
the 1979-1992 Peshawar Seven/Operation Cyclone war
against his homeland, once again embraces his Taliban
allies in a manner that should provoke all thinking
persons to question the entire rationale offered for
the 'guerre eternelle' (endless war) ostensibly waged
*against* terrorism....]

Agence France-Presse
August 25, 2004

Karzai in touch with Taliban for peace in Afghanistan

-Karzai has long maintained that moderate Taliban who
had no blood on their hands should play a role in the
post-Taliban administrations.
"They are the sons of the soil, they are most welcome
to stay and work in Afghanistan."
-Karzai said he wants Afghan clerics to be in
parliament like Pakistans pro-Taliban Islamist leader
Maulana Fazlur Rehman, from the Pakistans six-party
Islamist alliance which swept to victory in North West
Frontier Province and holds the balance of power in
the federal parliament.
"I want our Taliban and our mullahs (clerics) to come
and do the same," Dawn quoted Karzai saying.

Islamabad - Afghan President Hamid Karzai said he has
been in touch with a senior Taliban official ahead of
crucial polls in Afghanistan and will meet him "soon",
reported Pakistani newspapers on Wednesday.

Karzai told Pakistani newspaper editors here at the
end of his two-day visit on Tuesday that he was in
contact with former Taliban foreign minister Wakeel
Ahmed Mutawakil, reported the Dawn daily.

Karzai and Mutawakil, considered a moderate in the the
hardline regime, discussed ideas on how to strengthen
peace in Afghanistan, said Dawn.

"I will have a meeting with him soon," Dawn quoted the
Afghan president as telling the Pakistani journalists.
He gave no date.

The fundamentalist militia was ousted in US-led
military operations in late 2001 in the aftermath of
the September 11 attacks on the United States which
Washington blamed on Al-Qaeda network of Osama bin
Laden, who was sheltered by Talibans spiritual leader
Mullah Mohammad Omar.

Both Omar and bin Laden have so far eluded a nearly
three year manhunt by thousands of US troops in
Afghanistan. Most intelligence agencies believe bin
Laden has been moving between hideouts along the
mountainous border between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Karzai has long maintained that moderate Taliban who
had no blood on their hands should play a role in the
post-Taliban administrations.

"They are the sons of the soil, they are most welcome
to stay and work in Afghanistan," he told the
Pakistani editors.

He was also reported to have said they could register
to vote in October 9 elections, the first time Afghans
will choose their own president.

They can "make money, get married, stand in
elections," he said.

However he made it clear that some 50 to 100 Taliban
who had committed "heinous crimes" were not welcome.

"They will be apprehended and tried," he said.

Taliban insurgents operating mainly in the ethnic
Pashtun belt in south and southeastern Afghanistan
along the Pakistan border, have attacked election
offices, killed electoral workers and vowed to disrupt
the polls.

Karzai said he wants Afghan clerics to be in
parliament like Pakistans pro-Taliban Islamist leader
Maulana Fazlur Rehman, from the Pakistans six-party
Islamist alliance which swept to victory in North West
Frontier Province and holds the balance of power in
the federal parliament.

"I want our Taliban and our mullahs (clerics) to come
and do the same," Dawn quoted Karzai saying.

"It is really unfair that the mullahs of our
neighbours are getting voted (in) and our mullahs are
getting blown up and are killing themselves and having
a miserable life.

"They should also enjoy a good life, as others are
doing."