[Marxism] Grief-Stricken Father Ignites Marine Van

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 26 06:53:32 MDT 2004

Grief-Stricken Father Ignites Marine Van
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: August 26, 2004

HOLLYWOOD, Fla., Aug. 25 - A man who had just been told that his son had
been killed in combat in Iraq set fire to a Marine Corps van and suffered
severe burns on Wednesday, the police said.

Three marines went to a house in Hollywood to tell Carlos Arredondo, 44,
that his son, Pfc. Alexander Arredondo, 20, died Tuesday in Najaf, family
members said.

Mr. Arredondo then walked into the garage and picked up a can of gasoline,
a propane tank and a lighting device, Capt. Tony Rode of the police said.
He smashed the van's window and doused the van with gasoline, despite
efforts by the marines to stop him, Captain Rode said.

The police said that Mr. Arredondo had set fire to himself in the process
of igniting the van and that the marines had pulled him from the vehicle
and extinguished the flames on him.

"We have not seen this type of reaction," said a spokesman for the Marines,
Maj. Scott Mack. "Every reaction is negative; it's the loss of a loved one."

When Mr. Arredondo saw the marines walking toward the front door, said
Melida Arredondo, Private Arredondo's stepmother, "my husband immediately
knew that his firstborn son had been killed - and my husband did not take
the news well."

Mr. Arredondo was listed in serious condition with severe burns to his arms
and legs at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

Captain Rode said it was too early into the investigation to discuss
possible charges against Mr. Arredondo.

"We'll see how he recovers before doing anything," Captain Rode said.