[Marxism] Rift in ABBer's?

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:38:29 MDT 2004

>Her argument was essentially that since there is
>not a way to vote against the war

I *think* I remember her saying that there was no way to stop the war by
voting, and contrasting it with Spain, where she noted that voters had a
chance to vote for someone who promised to pull the troops out and did so
when elected. Her point seemed to me to be that, regardless of Nader or any
other antiwar candidate on the ballot, they aren't going to win, so that a
vote for them will not stop the war. Anyone who really cares can go listen
to the show which is online at www.democracynow.org (I don't think there is
a transcript online).

Incidentally, just so we're all clear, even if Nader WERE to win, that still
wouldn't bring an end to the war, since Nader's position seems to have
evolved to much more of a Dean/Kucinich "U.N. in, U.S. out" position which,
given the likelihood of the "U.N. in" portion of that equation, is a lot
closer to Kerry's (and Bush's) position than many people think. The
difference, of course, is that at least Nader is willing to denounce the war
as a mistake.