[Marxism] Chavez calls on govs, mayors: expropriate idle urban land

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sat Aug 28 07:33:38 MDT 2004

Vheadline.com

Published: Thursday, August 26, 2004
Bylined to: David Coleman

Chavez Frias has called on governors, mayors to expropriate idle urban
lands

President Hugo Chavez Frias has called on Venezuela's regional governors
and mayors to expropriate idle urban lands to be used as sites for
low-income housing.  During a ceremony in which he personally handed
over the deeds to 460 new low-cost houses, Chavez complained of
speculators who acquire property but then leave the land undeveloped or
buildings unused while waiting for their value to rise ... in Venezuela
the phenomenon is called "fattening" real estate.

"Fattening land runs contrary to the 1999 Constitution ... if we must,
we must apply for public use expropriations ... I call upon all
government institutions to apply the rule of law and justice that was
included in our constitution."

Chavez Frias insists that urban land expropriations are not within the
gift of the President, but that it is the responsibility of local mayors
and regional governors to make inventories of the land under their
jurisdictions and to make sure that municipal ordinances are followed to
the letter.

Venezuela's wealthy opposition has come out from all corners claiming
that the land reform is further proof that Chavez Frias is an autocrat
hell bent on imposing Cuban-style communism in Venezuela but Chavez
Frias insists that urban projects should be developed on unused
properties only if they are suitable for public use expropriation.