[Marxism] Chavez: "Have to eliminate large landholdings inVenezuela'

David Walters dwalters at marxists.org
Sat Aug 28 10:09:49 MDT 2004

Chavez is being very honest here, they've implement a form of land
distribution to over 100,000 peasant families (far more than Lula for
example in Brazil) and unlike Lula in Brazil, carries out his promises.
But...

To date, the 'land reform' in Venezuela is based on occupation and
distribution of unused, state owned land. No direct confrontation with
the large land owners has occurred to my knowledge, and as most reports
seem to indicate, with Chavez support actually greater in the country
side than in the cities, there is little 'class struggle' going on
there from either side.

Chavez is now upping the ante, indicating he's going to go after the
land owners themselves. We will wait and see, and personally, I'm on
his side...at least virtually :)

But, it is not just a question of social-justice. It's question of food
independence. Most of the big land owners, like the ones in Brazil, and
other countries, want to produce for the world market, as an income
source, not as part of the 'national economy' that has development
relate to the commodity needs of the masses of the country. As stated
here previously, Venezuela is a net importer of food (even as it
exports food). Chavez hopes to reverse this, breaking up the large
holdings into smaller, self-sufficient and more productive food
producing, peasant/free-farmer owned land.

David