[Marxism] Re: Mealy Mouthed ZNet Advocates Third Road Position onSudan

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 28 15:25:22 MDT 2004

M. Junaid Alam wrote:
> Of course the icing on the cake is the grandiose call to build a 24/7
> anti-imperialist movement.

Especially when you are preaching to the choir on Marxmail. Frankly, I
get more than a little annoyed with Tony striking "more radical than
thou" poses here. When I write about Sudan (both times pegged to film
reviews), I try to uncover relevant information that will help people
understand class and ethnic conflict. I admit that I have a head start
on this kind of thing because I have access to Columbia University's
library, one of the finest in the world. But there's nothing preventing
Tony from investing some time and effort doing google searches on
"Sudan". We need less sermonizing about the need to fight imperialism
(yawn) and more about the concrete history of Sudan. Although we have no
pretensions like the lists on H-Humanities, we do aspire to scholarly
standards here. Preobrezhensky was just a high school graduate (as was
Harry Braverman) but that did not prevent them from rolling up their
sleeves and writing informatively (and polemically) about things that
mattered to the Russian and American left. That's the examples we should
aspire to.

--
Marxism list: www.marxmail.org