[Marxism] The Imperialist Squeeze on Sudan

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 29 07:42:11 MDT 2004

Tony Abdo wrote:
> The proliferation of European and US weapons and militaries in North
> Africa is how we got into yet another horrible massacre that is now
> occurring in Darfur.

This is false to the core. The civil wars in the Sudan cannot be blamed
on imperialism. They have internal roots in ethnic divisions that
precede imperialism. The Northern Islamic bourgeoisie oppressed the
Christian and Animist South, just as the Ethiopian Christians oppressed
Eritreans to their North and Omoros to their South. Africa was class
divided before the Europeans arrived. Europe exploited these class
distinctions but they have an independent existence.

Khartoum seeks to keep the South in a subordinate position just as
Baghdad, Ankara and Tehran seek to keep the Kurds in a subordinate
position. The Kurds were fucked over long before Europe and the USA
became a factor in the Mideast.

The only way that Sudan can overcome ethnic strife is by uprooting
national oppression just as the Bolsheviks did. The Russian Empire was a
prisonhouse of nations, even though Russia was colonized by the West. To
sweep the problem of national oppression under the rug is not only
anti-Marxist, it is counter-revolutionary.