[Marxism] FW: A FACT SHEET ON THE CRISIS IN DARFUR!

glparramatta glparramatta at greenleft.org.au
Mon Aug 30 01:19:39 MDT 2004

I find it disturbing that the just struggle of the southern Sudanese
people can be dismissed so lightly by some on the left as merely the
antics of imperialist agents.

Here's some background that appeared in Green Left Weekly in 1997.
Please note how the US backed Khartoum's war on the south until the 1990s.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/1997/262/262p14.htm

It also seems the just struggle of the Darfuris to be part of a
democratic and equitible Sudan is being painted in much the same light
by some on the left. This, I think, stems from a flawed analysis of the
situation in Sudan.

In fact, both Washington and Sudan agree that the Darfur rebellion must
be ended. But they disagree over the means. Khartoum wants to crush them
by any means necessary, while US imperialism wants them bought off with
some crumbs from Sudan's oil wealth.

Washington *did nothing* to prevent the Khartoum-sponsored slaughter in
western Sudan for more than year because it was prepared to see if
Khartoum's strategy would work, as long as it was done quietly.

Washington's priority since Bush came to power was to see the peace deal
between the SPLA and Khartoum inked, which would allow it to lift US
sanctions and allow US oil corporations to return to Sudan to share in a
potential oil profit bonanza. But when the killing in Darfur became
impossible to ignore, and began to *threaten* the north-south deal,
Washington and Europe suddenly stepped in to pressure Khartoum to rein
in its proxy militia, the janjaweed.

Both Khartoum and Washington want to come to an arrangement with each
other, much as Libya's Gaddafi has just done. The argy-bargy around
Darfur is all about settling the terms on which that arrangement is to
be based. Washington does not want an Iraq-style invasion of Sudan.

Norm.

Norm.