[Marxism] Organizers and NYC cop agree: 500,000 marched

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 30 20:23:42 MDT 2004

Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Those who think it can are, IMO, missing a rare opening to the Democratic
> base, which is a pity because  it’s almost certain this is where a
> significant US left would begin to emerge, if at all.

That linkage (to the base inside the DP) is established or not
established within local anti-war groups and in the activity of those
groups over time. The local group in Bloomington-Normal in which Jan & I
participate is overwhelmingly committed to Kerry (and most of them, at
the present time, see the future of progressive activity to be within
and through the DP). Despite this, my steadfast demurral from any
association with the DP and my declared intention to cast a blank ballot
(Nader not having gotten on the Illinois ballot) have never conflicted
with our prestige within the group. So as of now, while our position has
gained us nothing, neither has it lost us anything.

But after November we will certainly be in a better position to
criticize Kerry & the DP for having made our position known. I recently
posted the following to the maillist maintained by the group.

*******