[Marxism] Re: Organizers and NYC cop agree: 500,000 marched

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Tue Aug 31 08:53:30 MDT 2004

Cnyadp at aol.com wrote:
> there is a tendency on the part of many Kerry supporters to rationalize that
> his "increase the troops"  position on Iraq is  merely an attempt to appeal to
> the majority of voters. In this view, once elected Kerry will  shed his
> campaign stand, reverse himself and (like Clark Kent) reveal his Superman-style
> moral virtues.

of course this has been going on for a long time, back at least to
Carter if not before. we were told that the Democratic candidate was
putting on appearances only for the purposes of capturing some of the
voters who were "straying" to the right. But nothing in carter's or
clinton's actually existing presidencies ever revealed the "shift back"
to the left.

One reason this is so is that once in office presidents then have to
deal with business lobbies, congress{wo}men visited by business lobbies,
  and getting re-elected, and so in practice these purportedly
once-every-four-years tactical shifts in fact take place more or less
constantly.

thats's one point of view, if you are raised as a Democrat. once you see
the baseline signal is this rightward "shift", the brain feigns amnesia
and cannot recall why Democrats were EVER considered lefties.

les schaffer