[Marxism] What is the nature of anti-Semitism in relation to modern Zionism? (fabricated anti-semitism incident in France, and some questions)

M. Junaid Alam junaidalam at msalam.net
Tue Aug 31 09:10:19 MDT 2004

I can't paste the text directly, but here is the link:

There are several layers of interesting questions to ask here:

1. I would assume that "anti-Semitic incidents", ie., attacks on Jews in
European countries, would definitely be on the increase, primarily by
the Muslim population, because of antagonism towards Israel. I would
think this to be a logical and unfortunate development. This doesn't
mean it falls into the category that the Zionists wish to throw it into,
that is, an example of the unending innate desire of the non-Jew to
exterminate Jews and the second incarnation of the Holocaust. But it's
hard to find statistics on this matter. Finkelstein recently gave a
lecture in Vancouver in which he cited polls saying that there is _less_
anti-Semitism among Muslims in France than among other French. Frankly I
found this implausible. But on the other hand, he took apart very
convincingly the disreputable statistics and false atmosphere of
victimization generated by Zionists  about the number of anti-Semitic
incidents, anywhere in the world, because they included any criticism or
questioning of Israel, on a college campus, for instance. Is there any
_genuine_ set of statistics to take a look at?

2. Notice the extremely bizarre justification by "a Jewish psychoanalyst
from Paris" at the bottom of the article. Even though this is not an
anti-Semitic incident, but rather a case of a guy who happens to be
Jewish setting a place on fire, this is _still_ explained a response to
pervasive anti-Semitism! What the hell? To what extent is this
believable? To what extent does this analysis prevail in the Jewish
community?

3. Basically my problem in understanding politically and socially the
phenomenon of anti-Semitism, is trying to distinguish and identify the
main factors, causes, and results. First it must be established to what
extent it exists in Europe, whether it is increasing or decreasing. Then
it is important to see if there is an increase, whether it is
attributable to the Muslim factor or a pro-Nazi factor. It is further
necessary to see what political gains Zionism reaps for increased
anti-Semitism, and to what extent it conflates anti-Semitism with
anti-Zionism in its own reporting and calculations.

I think this is all very important for one simple reason. It is very
much possible that Zionists will invent a series of anti-Semitic
incidents, as they did in Iraq after Independence, to convince Jews they
are universally hated and must scurry to the savior that is Israel.
Sharon obviously very much desires this, as evidenced when he recently
called on French Jews to emigrate to Israel before the Islamic hordes
infest that country further. So without a solid grasp of the _actual_
mood of anti-Semitism there, it will be hard to separate truth from
fiction.