[Marxism] Don Imus controversy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 1 08:21:57 MST 2004

(Radio shock-jock Don Imus was ranked as one of the USA's 50 most
influential people a few years ago by Time Magazine. He supported John
Kerry for President, who is a frequent guest on the show.)

Published Tuesday, November 30, 2004 by the Toronto Star
Probe Here Over Aired Arab Slurs
Arafat Mourners Derided on MSNBC
by Antonia Zerbisias

The all-news MSNBC, which recently got the go-ahead for unrestricted
access to Canada's digital dial, may have run afoul of our hate laws
when its Imus In The Morning advocated dropping a bomb on Palestinians
to "kill 'em all."

Both the RCMP and the federal broadcast watchdog are on the case,
investigating complaints from some two dozen Canadians.

They include Paul Jay, best known as the independent producer behind CBC
Newsworld's recently cancelled counterSpin.

"I watched (Imus) and immediately I was outraged," he told me yesterday.

Morning jock Don Imus, whose syndicated shock-talk radio show is
simulcast on MSNBC, was probably just joking when he and his crew made
racist, derogatory remarks during coverage of Yasser Arafat's funeral on
Nov. 12.

But many Americans, and obviously a few Canadians, weren't laughing when
they caught this exchange between Imus, his sports anchor Sid Rosenberg
and their producer Bernard McGuirk over images of the crowds mourning
the death of the Palestinian leader.

IMUS: They're (Palestinians) eating dirt and that fat pig wife (Suha
Arafat) of his is living in Paris.

ROSENBERG: They're all brainwashed, though. That's what it is. And
they're stupid to begin with, but they're brainwashed now. Stinking
animals. They ought to drop the bomb right there, kill 'em all right now.

McGUIRK: You can just imagine standing there.

ROSENBERG: Oh, the stench.

IMUS: Well, the problem is that we have Andrea (Mitchell, NBC foreign
correspondent) there. We don't want anything to happen to her.

ROSENBERG: Oh, she's got to get out. Just warn Andrea, get out, and then
drop the bomb, kill everybody.

McGUIRK: It's like the worst Woodstock.

ROSENBERG: Look at this. Look at these animals. Animals!

"We have commenced an investigation," confirmed RCMP constable Howard
Adams.

full: http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1130-28.htm

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org