[Marxism] An AIDS Skeptic in South Africa Feeds Simmering Doubts

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 1 11:07:58 MST 2004

> But Mr. Mokaba, the former deputy minister of tourism, says growing numbers
> of people are eager to hear what he has to say. He does not deny that something
> is attacking the immune systems of many South Africans, but he believes it
> might be malnutrition or other common illnesses.

It is a mistake to assume that there is a link between poverty and HIV
on the African continent. As a long time fan of African music, I have
been dismayed to see one great musician after another succumb to AIDS.
Among them are Nigeria's Fela Anikulapo Ransome-Kuti, Biggie Tembo of
the Bhundu Boys from Zimbabwe and Luambo Makiadi (a.k.a. Franco) of the
Congo. His very last album had a song titled "Attention Na SIDA". All of
these men were extremely wealthy.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org