[Marxism] how the ruling class rules, was: Two gains US scored recently in Iraq wat

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Wed Dec 1 13:42:16 MST 2004

Jason wrote:

What is important about the last election is not
conspiracies over whole stole what.  It is that
election didn't correct what is clearly a flagrant
excess by factions in the ruling class.  Reading some
of the capitalist press I think some sections were
ambivalent about Bush.  I think other sections are
reticently supporting Bush because they are anxious
about the possible crises facing global capitalism.

I wrote:

I agree with this, Jason.  In fact I wrote in anearlier post
about watching the coverage on CNN and the moment when the
commentators were chortling about the failure of the
referendum on gay marriage, suddenly switched to saying how
Bush approved of gay civil unions.  That for me was the
moment of revelation.  The enormity of the Bush project
almost pushed through their consciousness and then they set
about reassuring everyone.  Clinton did the same thing at the
opening of his library when he talked about liking Bush and
Kerry.

Jason wrote:

Because as i read history, it has
not been the ruling class that has imposed corrective
mechanisms out of it's own free will.  They have come
about during times of burgeoning and radicalizing mass
movements.

I wrote:

Again I think this is absolutely the key to understanding
much of the relationship between the classes.  Here in
Australia it seems to me that the Labor Party has been ever
eager to play this role - to referee the competition within
the capitalist class in the name of the "national" interest.

The problem for Labor is that at present the capitalist class
sees no value in accepting their offer of service.

regards

Gary